Baxter (NYSE:BAX) announced today that the FDA issued 510(k) clearance to its Novum IQ infusion pump with Dose IQ safety software.
Deerfield, Illinois-based Baxter designed its new Novum IQ syringe infusion pump (SYR) to deliver small amounts of fluid at low rates. It includes a technologically integrated user experience with enhanced safety features. The system offers advanced connectivity, configurable anesthesia care settings and a set portfolio for optimum accuracy.
Novum IQ’s interface incorporates colored visual banners for identifying enteral delivery. It also has a backlit keypad and guided syringe loading.
Baxter said in a news release that Novum IQ with Dose IQ represents its latest developments for infusion therapy. It can fully integrate with electronic medical records through Baxter’s IQ Enterprise connectivity suite.
“We are thrilled to bring a new syringe infusion pump to the market that represents the next generation of Baxter’s intelligent infusion ecosystem,” said Heather Knight, Baxter president, medication delivery, acute therapies, clinical nutrition, Latin America and Canada. “Together, the Novum IQ syringe infusion pump, Dose IQ Safety Software and IQ Enterprise Connectivity Suite advance the interoperability and data insights needed to help prevent harm and personalize therapy for patients, including neonates and other fragile patients.”
Baxter is advancing infusion technologies
Novum IQ features the Dose IQ web-based, customizable drug library and dose error reduction system. Dose IQ helps to ensure pumps are up to date and incorporates titration error prevention technology.
Dose IQ also optimizes information infrastructure and accessibility while offering flexibility to scale. Baxter said it designed its system to meet FDA guidance for infusion devices, including cybersecurity, too.
Baxter’s IQ Enterprise connectivity suite enables over-the-air operating system upgrades to all Novum IQ SYRs in a hospital network. It also allows the option to enable auto-programming and auto-documentation of infusion data.
The platform delivers near-real-time infusion data and streamlined infusion reports, plus clear visualizations of data across a hospital system. Tag less asset tracking on IQ Enterprise shows infusion pump location and status throughout the hospital.
The Novum IQ SYR features Baxter’s Dose IQ Safety Software, a web-based, customizable drug library and dose error reduction system that supports clinicians and hospitals by:
- Helping ensure pumps are up to date with the latest drug and dose information through centralized access to drug library files
- Incorporating titration error prevention technology to provide additional safety measures for infusions
- Optimizing information technology infrastructure and accessibility
- Offering flexibility to scale as hospital systems and technologies evolve
In addition to fully integrating the Novum IQ SYR with hospital EMRs, Baxter’s IQ Enterprise Connectivity Suite:
- Enables over-the-air operating system upgrades to all Novum IQ SYRs connected to a hospital’s network
- Allows option to enable auto-programming and auto-documentation of infusion data through full bi-directional integration with EMRs
- Delivers near real-time infusion data and streamlined infusion reports
- Provides clear visualizations of infusion data across a hospital system, allowing efficient identification of safety and process issues at every level of care
- Offers option to implement tagless asset tracking that shows infusion pump location and status throughout the hospital, helping to save time and optimize resources
Baxter’s application for 510(k) clearance for the Novum IQ LVP in the U.S. remains pending. Subject to receipt of all necessary approvals, Baxter expects to introduce the Novum IQ platform in markets around the world to continue delivering a strong and streamlined experience for customers.
BY Sean Whooley